CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 16270
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMeasuring using 'farea'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
MarkWT View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Measuring using 'farea'
    Posted: 06.Nov.2008 at 14:38

Hi All,

New user here.  Found the 'farea' tool via a post (& link) on this forum.  Have downloaded it and installed it using appload.  Thing is, I'm having real trouble figuring out how to enter the parameters when promted.  Could someone please take me through the steps required to create a 'dynamic text label' with 250pt text size at an insertion point of my choice (ideally i'd just like to click the mouse where i want to insert the label) at 0degrees rotation.  Also, my drawing is in mm but i'd like the areas displayed in m2 (i've assumed the 'multiplication factor' would be 0.000001 but it doesn't seem to work).  I've been fiddling about with the setup and options for a good while now so any advice or an alternative method for measuring areas (lots of - quickly!) would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark.
Vladimir Michl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Arkance Systems CZ

Using: Autodesk software
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07.Nov.2008 at 08:57
Just download the latest version of fArea (see Download). Load (APPLOAD) the fArea.vlx and start the FAREA command. On the first prompt, enter "S" for setup. Specify the label suffix, multiplication factor (0.000001) and the number of decimal places. Pick the closed geometry (polyline, circle..). Either select a predefined text label (any text) or press Enter to specify a new text entity - pick the insertion point, the text size and rotation of the new label.
Vladimir Michl (moderator)
Arkance Systems - arkance-systems.cz - Autodesk reseller
MarkWT View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07.Nov.2008 at 10:52
thanks for that vladimir,

i had loaded the application sucessfully and am using it but still don't Really understand how it works.  i have completed setup ok (had to change the 'decimal precision' in format-units to get the multiplication factor to work) but still can't figure out the '1:pt, 2:size, 3:orient' bit.  i've somehow got it working ok but don't really know how i did it.  i'm just struggling with how to enter the information into the command line - clicking with the mouse vs. entering numerical values, commas vs. colons and the order to do things in.
MarkWT View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07.Nov.2008 at 16:31
ok, i've got it working nicely in a single drawing but now it's not behaving in the same way in any other drawing!  In the drawing where i think it's working properly, when prompted i click the mouse on the point where i want the label inserted then i drag the mouse directly up (with ortho switched on) and enter 250 for the size, hit ENTER then enter 0, or 90 or whichever angle i want, hit enter again and voila - all my parameters are correctly displayed.  Thing is, it only works like this in ONE drawing!  In all my other drawings i click on the insertion point, drag the mouse directly upwards, type 250 for the text height, hit ENTER and rather than waiting for me to enter the angle it just regenerates and puts the text in really really small and with 250 as the rotation angle!  Grrr!  So frustrating!  I'm assuming as the application is behaving differently between drawings the descrepancies must be to do with a setting within the drawing - any idea what this might be?!  Thanks in advance.  Mark.
GregKelam View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21.Dec.2008 at 15:40

Hi Guys,

Another new user.  Relly good dynamic tool (farea) but I have problems with the SETUP. I have AC2005 and I try to get m2 instead of mm2 (I'm working in mm) - the 'multiplication factor' is doesn't work in my CAD. I have the area in mm2 1245899.00 and the 'multiplication factor' in brackets [0.000001].

1245899.00 [0.000001]

The aim is to draw in mm and get the area in m2 but without of any additional informations. I'm looking for a simple label for example 12.5m2.

I do not know where is the problem? 
Please let me know how to adjust the SETUP. 

Thank you
Greg
GregKelam View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22.Dec.2008 at 11:37
Hi Vladimir,
I have played more with the farea SETUP to get the m2 but with no positive results. Could you please let me know if the simple expression of m2 (no brackets [] ) is possible in AC2005?
Thanks,
Greg
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Arkance Systems CZ

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22.Dec.2008 at 11:56

I am not sure with the version 2005 (I don't have it installed anymore) but it is possible that the factor calculations were added only in version 2006. The proposed steps work fine there.

Please note that fArea is only an "interface" to the standard FIELD command so you may also try this command directly.
Apeiron View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22.Dec.2008 at 12:57

It's working Vladimir ... I use the farea in version 2005 and it's working verry well

Always is something new to learn ....
for kids :))) http://www.prizee.com/?refer=Apeiron
lorenz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27.Feb.2009 at 12:46
Hi everybody.

I'm new in this forum and i have the following question:

I downloaded "farea.vlx" file and it works pretty good with my autocad 2008, but I need a function that display even perimeter of a closed polyline. Is there the possibility to add this feature to the farea.vlx routine in order to print area and perimeter together?

Thank you very much for any reply.

Lorenzo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Arkance Systems CZ

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27.Feb.2009 at 14:17
The updated version of fArea (V1.2) now also contains the new FLENGTH command which creates a perimeter label. See Download.

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic