CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 7836
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedModeling a Twisted Ribbon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
SEANT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Using: AutoCAD 2016
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19.Oct.2018 at 08:48
I’m not sure what level of precision the OP implied; conceivably the intention was for a demonstrational level or, maybe, to prep Rapid Prototyping.  Be that as it may, I tried to prep a model to as high a degree of accuracy as I could manage.  

An initial quandary was the notion of constant thickness.  Sweeping a Rectangle keeps a constant Cross Section thickness, but the thickness perpendicular to the face varies through the radius.  See illustration in TwistRibbnConstThick_1. 

Now, Elastic/Plastic deformation of a twisted ribbon may thin a material to some extent.  For my presentation, though, I’m going to stick with a constant thickness.

Another area that needed addressing was the final diameter.  I could keep that very constant by using some of the early construction geometry to slice an explicitly sized cylinder. 

And a final area of concern was the notching.  Conceivably, the notch should have walls perpendicular to the spiral face.  That face changes Ramp angle through it’s radius, then so too should the notch.  See model in TwistRibbnConstThick_2.

I have to assume I've made the process way more complicated than necessary.  The process is interesting, though.  High tolerance fabrication brings additional sets of concern to an AutoCAD modeler. 
rebellio View Drop Down

Using: Autocad 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19.Oct.2018 at 11:18

Hi, great post and challenge Clap, i almost had it but i receive an error on the last substract action............
Any ideas ? Error Code Number is 84028.......

SEANT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Using: AutoCAD 2016
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19.Oct.2018 at 12:30
I don't know what that error code means.  Try something, though; move the blue coil up just a bit then subtract.  
rebellio View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19.Oct.2018 at 12:51
thanks for your reply but unfortunately that does not help.
philippe JOSEPH View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD Mechanical 2017
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19.Oct.2018 at 13:34
Hello Seant and all the others, if we see Arunvigneshram again and if he could give us the dimensions of the ribbon section, the total length of a rotation of 180 degrees + the dimensions of the nothes we could verify our various solids.

If it's just an image our solids are very good mainly because I wouldn't have thougt it could be possible to modelize this twisted ribbon without facets, thanks again Arunvigneshram !!! 

Edited by philippe JOSEPH - 19.Oct.2018 at 13:38
rebellio View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19.Oct.2018 at 14:20
After a load of errors ....... if i use a bigger diameter on the helix, errors keep popping up. But for now i am glad with the result. Cool

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic