CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products []
Czech English Deutsch
 Visitors: 3334 
RSS tips RSS channel - CAD tips
RSS discussion RSS channel - CAD discussion

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The information that you provide in this form will make up your forum profile which can be viewed by other forum members. Your email address will only be visible by forum admin and moderators and will be used to send you Forum Notifications. To cancel your account, use the page Opt-out or contact

Topic Closedsomething similar to UV mapping but not quite- an

 Post Reply Post Reply
con2rol View Drop Down

Joined: 19.Oct.2018
Location: Egypt
Using: maya, 3ds
Status: Offline
Points: 2
Direct Link To This Post Topic: something similar to UV mapping but not quite- an
    Posted: 19.Oct.2018 at 13:00
Hello all

I have a question that i don't really know where to direct and i am fairly a beginner and just getting the hang of things. I understand UV mapping is intended to layout a 3d object flat to allow for texturing. I am also looking into converting a 3d object into a 2d object but not for the same purpose and I doubt it would use the same technology. lets say I have a 3d object that is solid ( with a thickness to it). Something curved liked the letter C and I want to flatten that C to a line (2d ) but still retain the thickness that was in the C shape so I end up with a line with variable amount of thickness that correspond to the original shape "dangling" from that line. I am not sure how to explain this better, but I hope you pros get it. In other words, I want to "unwind" a curved 3d shape to a linear shape whilst retaining its thickness. Essentially for the purpose of folding that shape back into the 3d shape physically after manufacturing that "linear" shape". 


Thanks guy and I would be grateful for any help.

Back to Top

Related CAD tips:

 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

This page was generated in 0,047 seconds.