CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 6567
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedExplode attributes block

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ncespedes View Drop Down

Using: Autocad LT 2012
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Explode attributes block
    Posted: 11.Jan.2019 at 17:16
I can't explode a block that shows as Enhanced Attribute Editor.
Kent Cooper View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD2020, 2023
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11.Jan.2019 at 19:12
I'm not sure what you mean by "shows as Enhanced Attribute Editor."  That comes up if you double-click on a Block containing Attributes, but double-clicking on one would not be the way to Explode it, and that Editor has nothing to do with whether it can be Exploded or not.
If you want to Explode it, select it [single-click], then either pick the Explode icon in the Modify section of the Home ribbon, or type in EXPLODE.  Or do it in the other order [command first, then selection].  If it won't let you, the Block has been defined to not allow Exploding.  You can change that by calling up the BEDIT command, which you can do with a Block without Attributes by double-cliking on it -- maybe that's the issue, that one with Attributes doesn't work that way.  But you can select it [single-click], right-click and pick Block Editor.

If you don't have the Properties palette up already, type PROPERTIES.  In the Block category there is a line for "Allow exploding" with Yes and No choices.  But consider carefully whether there's a reason it was defined to not allow Exploding, because you're changing not just the selected Block but the Block definition -- if you change it from No to Yes, it won't just let you Explode that one, but the protection provided to all other Insertions of the same Block will be lost.
ncespedes View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11.Jan.2019 at 22:13
Kent, thank you for your response.
Explode does not work, neither from icon nor typing. It may be defined as not to allow exploding, but I don't know where to find the yes or no choices.  The properties palette does not show it. I'm working with Autocad 2019. 
Kent Cooper View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD2020, 2023
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11.Jan.2019 at 22:49
Do you not see this?
That Block category is at the bottom of the Properties palette.  You have to be in the Block Editor editing the Block in question, not just have an insertion of it selected in the generic Properties palette.

Edited by Kent Cooper - 11.Jan.2019 at 22:49
philippe JOSEPH View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD Mechanical 2017
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12.Jan.2019 at 20:58
Hello ncespedes and Kent, I suppose that you want to explode this block to NCOPY lines, arcs and/or other elements inside it. Maybe this is not possible because the block was contituted without the possibility to explode it so you can't NCOPY elements.
There is a possibility to NCOPY anyway by doing this :
REFEDIT the block to enter inside it, do a copy of the entire block or the elements that you want to copy, select these elements and press on the minus button ( - ) to take them out of the block and close the refedit. 
Then you can eventually rebuilt an editable block in the old way with the same name and insertion point for it to be correctly updated in your file(s). 

Edited by philippe JOSEPH - 12.Jan.2019 at 21:01
ncespedes View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14.Jan.2019 at 15:51
Kent, I was able to find it, I had to be in the Block Editor and then look in the Properties Palette. Now I can explode using the Attributes Explode and get what I want. The good thing about this is that it will change all other blocks in the dwg and this is exactly what I wanted, thanks.

Have a Happy New Year!

Joseph, thank you anyway.
philippe JOSEPH View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD Mechanical 2017
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15.Jan.2019 at 07:12
Hello ncespedes and Kent, I will take a look at your solution because when we had this problem the solution that we had was the one that I have described ( and the only one that we found by ourselves ).
As it was working like no other one found here in CAD Forum or else were we've stoped the searches.

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic