CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 11123
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDWG Symbols

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
scottz View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD2020
Direct Link To This Post Topic: DWG Symbols
    Posted: 01.Oct.2019 at 08:31
Hi all new too this could someone teach me how to transfer DWG symbols from this website from a PC documents folder INTO
AUTODESK  AUTOCAD 2020 without getting any errors 
philippe JOSEPH View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD Mechanical 2017
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01.Oct.2019 at 18:20
Hello scottz, you have access to a lot of DWG files here in the site in the CAD/BIM Blocks library.
You launch a seach with words to find what you want then you downloads thoses files to your computer.
Then you INSERT the files in your open AutoCAD file.
If the file includes various objects or blocks you EXPLODE the inserted file ONE time to have acces to the objects or blocks.
If the file includes only one object then it's better not to explode it but use the inserted file as a block with its specific insertion point.
It's better to also verify the UNITS of your AutoCAD file and the UNITS of the files to be inserted before.
If you do a copy/paste instead this is not important but in the case of an INSERT it is.
Ask for more if nedded and tell me (us ) if this helped or not.

Edited by philippe JOSEPH - 01.Oct.2019 at 18:28
John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01.Oct.2019 at 19:49
I would add that any downloaded symbols be placed in a dedicated folder for such things and not randomly inserted amongst the actually project drawing files.  So you might have symbols used in a civil drawing stored in a folder called "CivilSym" or symbols used in a process piping and instrumentation drawings stored in a folder called P&IDsym.  If there are numerous types of symbols it may even be worthwhile using subfolders.  For example, under the P&IDsym folder you would have subfolders for such things as Manual Valves, Automated Valves and another one for Instrumentation.
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

scottz View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD2020
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16.Oct.2019 at 08:30
Hi Joseph thanks for replying to my letter BUT unfortunately still having troubles i have downloaded a few symbols from this website into my documents PC so far all good  (bye the way symbols look great) then when i import the files from autocad it doesn't appear I've tried three options in (autocad import) as well as changing my files (SYMBOLS) in properties to see if that made any difference auto cad application /autocad DWG Launcher / Pdf as being a student and new too this i don't want too loose my site plan as well which i need to do a quotes on also need too know how too measure trenches for up and coming cable runs Is this the correct procedure  1:absolute zero not sure how too do this yet auto cad 2020 ver realcad v7 i can
2: Units change too 0.00 ? Unitless Precision 0.00 and direction control too  East is this the correct procedure any comments be greatly appreciated Scott  

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16.Oct.2019 at 12:36
Hello scottz, when I was talking about units I meant millimeters or meters or inches or feet, etc...
When you import IN AutoCAD you should have the file imported at the extremitie of your mouse ( if the insertion point if well defined ) or at least you should do a ZOOM extend to see if the imported file is somewhere in the object space.
IN FACT I FORGOT TO SAY THAT YOU SHOULD ALWAYS IMPORT IN YOUR OBJECT SPACE and eventually do a copy/paste from object space to paper space.
John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16.Oct.2019 at 12:46
Symbols are not imported.  From the Block panel use the Insert command.  Click on Find.  Navigate to the folder where your blocks are stored and select the appropriate block by name (ex. - UtilPole.dwg).  If you want to use the pointing device to specify the insertion point, scale and rotation select "Specify On-Screen".  Otherwise, enter the values in the appropriate boxes.

To measure distance click the Home tab Utilities panel Measure drop-down Distance.  You can also type in Dist at the command line.  Specify a first and second point.  Make sure to use your Snaps for precision.
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16.Oct.2019 at 12:58
Sorry I have wrongly used IMPORT instead of INSERT ( I use import with other software files ).
If you set correctly the units ( mm , m , in , ft , etc... ) in your different files then when inserting files that will become blocks in your AutoCAD file those blocks will be at the right dimensions at scale 1/1 but "affected" with an unit ( mm , m , in , ft , etc... ).
In any case insert in your object space.

Edited by philippe JOSEPH - 16.Oct.2019 at 13:00

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic