CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 1393
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedConnect digitizer to DraftSight

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jlbroerman View Drop Down

Using: SolidWorks 2019, DraftSight 2017
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Connect digitizer to DraftSight
    Posted: 08.Nov.2019 at 23:54
Hello all,

Does anyone have any experience with using DraftSight with a digitizer table? I know they are pretty outdated, but the one we use at the shop where I work is still useful to us. 3-D scanner isn't in the budget unfortunately.

We had a really old version of AutoCad on an even older computer that crapped out this week, so we lost that program when the computer was replaced and in the interim of deciding where to go next with a 2-D program, I would like to get the thing hooked up to the free version of DraftSight that we have on the new computer to get us by. AutoCad was really simple to connect to it, but DraftSight has been very difficult to find any information regarding this subject.

Thanks in advance for ANY help at all!
John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09.Nov.2019 at 12:22
Well you have one major problem come the end of the year.  The free version of Draftsight will no longer function.  What are you goig to replace it with?
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09.Nov.2019 at 13:48
Yeah, we know. We use the table almost daily so we need to get something figured out right away. The issue of getting a new program in 2020 is second in priority at the moment.

So, we were thinking that we would just start paying for DraftSight, but now we don’t even know if we can use the digitizer with it, which is another reason why we need to figure out if it’ll work or not. If it doesn’t work, we will most likely get AutoCad to use like we had before. I would prefer AutoCad over DraftSight, personally. But it is a smaller company so cost is a factor, even if the dollar amount isn’t too high.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09.Nov.2019 at 18:15
If all you create are 2D drawings you should look at renting AutoCAD LT.  The one year cost is $400 U.S.  The three year cost is $1080 ($30 a month).

As regards using a digitizer with Draftsight there would have to be an option under the System tab allowing one to select a Wintab Compatible Digitizing device.  As there does not seem to be such an option I'm afraid you are out of luck.

BTW....I'm running Draftsight 2018 and even using the Index and Search options under Help (re: digitizer) returned zero results.

Edited by John Connor - 09.Nov.2019 at 18:47
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10.Nov.2019 at 02:05
John,

That really helps a lot. Thanks very much. I will have to tell our GM that we are going to need to get AutoCad. Is that $400/yr per seat?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10.Nov.2019 at 13:18
That is correct.  It is per seat.

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10.Nov.2019 at 15:28
John,

Great. Thanks for the information. I’m glad I have a clear direction now! The other designer and I (small company) haven’t had much time to work on projects and get this worked out so it’ll be a relief to know where to go now.

Best regards.

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic