CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 15672
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHelp choosing project file formats

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
renatolevanteze View Drop Down

Using: Rhinoceros
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help choosing project file formats
    Posted: 05.Apr.2020 at 19:39
Hi, 

I just began learning about CAD 3D modelling and I plan to invest in the future in adquiring a CNC router for hobby wood manufacturing of musical instruments. 

I'm currently learning Rhino (still on the trial period) and I'm leaning towards purchasing a license. I'm aware that I'd need MadCAM or RhinoCAM for the taking the necessary steps for CAM/CNC.

I've been flerting as well with Vectrix Aspire, but I have had zero experience with it. I know it has CAM capabilities built in, and that it may be a weaker modelling software, but a more straightforward CAM software. 

While I still sort that out, I have the following situation:

I am about to purchase a set of files (20 or so files) for a CNC routing project. The designer is offering me to send the files either in IGES/STEP, which would be the format he offers for Rhino and Fusion, or in STL/DXF format for Aspire. He doesn't seem keen in handing me both format sets. 

And I simply could not commit right now for a specific format because I could eventually end up using Aspire in my future CNC setup. 

Should I purchase the IGES/STEP set and use the Rhino that I have now to convert said files to  STL/DXF as a backup plan for the future? Would such a conversion, done in Rhino, render me quality files to be used in a future routing endeavour done in Aspire?

Another way to put the question, will the conversion be as simple as choosing some options within Rhino or would changing formats require some reenginering of the model for the correct application in CNC?

Many thanks!

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic