CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 15322
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBest way to count items from AutoCAD plans?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
enimrun View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD2019
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best way to count items from AutoCAD plans?
    Posted: 10.Jun.2020 at 14:31
Hi!

To start this off, I have never used AutoCAD (or any other CAD-programs) in my life, my background is in sales. I currently work in a industrial manufacturing firm, and we provide for example HVAC-solutions to large buildings etc. As of now, our sales team gets these big A1-sized plans designed with AutoCAD, and we need to manually go through each plan to find out e.g. how many valves or such items we need to sell. This of course feels like a outdated and inefficient way of working. What would be the best way to do this? Is there any way to automate this counting process? Maybe there is a software that crunches the data for you and makes a list of item quantities? I tried to Google it and found services like Cadmatic, MagiCAD, OpenBOM and BOM Extractor, would any of these work? I also found mentions of AutoCAD's own data extraction tool, how about that?

Thanks in advance!

John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11.Jun.2020 at 23:34
The first step is to make sure the items you wish to count are blocks.  It might also prove useful to assign attributes to the blocks.  For example: a part or catalog number, size, pricing perhaps?
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

philippe JOSEPH View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD Mechanical 2017
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12.Jun.2020 at 07:10
Hello enimrun and John, yes if the entities are made of blocks there is eventually the command : BCOUNT that could work simply and leads to some kind of a part list.
The good way is to launch the command on all the file or on a selection, then press F2 to have an easy access to the list of blocks, copy/paste that list in a multiple line text or in a word file.
John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12.Jun.2020 at 15:48
Or a person could use the DATAEXTRACTION command. 
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

philippe JOSEPH View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD Mechanical 2017
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12.Jun.2020 at 21:01
Yes John and enimrun but is dataextraction easy for a person that have never used AutoCAD ?
If dataextraction needs blocks to count then for a 'simple' use bcount seems OK for me.
In fact I use bcount when in 3D to easily verify the quantities of items in my assemblies and I use the method described in my previous post.
Of course the blocks have to be very well named for a good use and I use the 'polish' method for this i.e. beginning the blocks names with the sub assembly name or the name of the machine like : LIEBHERR-LTM1200-5.1-BOOM-58-3m so that a list of items will be in a usable alphabetical order.
Hope this will help.

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic