CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 241
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedOverlay, compare drawings and change color

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
uahmad View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Overlay, compare drawings and change color
    Posted: 27.Nov.2008 at 01:56
Hi Guys,

I am totaly new to autocad, just got my hands on Autocad 2009 and need to do a few basic things for my purpose (I am builder)

I have 2 DWG files. 1 is the existing floor plan of a building and the other is a new plan of the building (i.e changes and additions etc to the floor plan)

I want to change the color the first drawing to say RED (i.e all text all lines all boxes, everything is changed to red)
Then i want to change the color of the second drawing to say BLUE (again evertying on this drawing to be blue)

Then i want to overlay drawings 1 & 2 on same page so I can see exactly what the differences are from the 2 drawings and be able to print this drawing.

Remembering im a complete newb to Autocad can someone outline step on how i can achieve this in Autocad 2009?

Thanks in advance.
Kackac View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27.Nov.2008 at 03:55
For what are you writing about is XREFs - command  XREF will overlay or attach (differences between that possibilities you'll find in help) selected drawing into an active (current) drawing. Colors for each xref depend layer you can change in Layer Manager (command LAYER) according to your requests, multiple select of layers is possible too, so you can change all layers in the whole xref at once.
I'm sorry for my bad English. Kackac
Kajito View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27.Nov.2008 at 12:06
yes u can use xref as suggested above (dont forget that both plans have to be at the same location and in correct scale). But as you havent worked with autocad before, I would suggest smth "more simple":
create new drawing, copy both drawing into this new one. select the first model and change the color to red, 2nd to blue. You could create new layers (blue, red) so that you have each layout in different layers. Or after you changed the color of both plans you could create block of each the plans. Either way, now you can move one plan over the other one and you can c the differencies.
uahmad View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27.Nov.2008 at 23:29
Hi thanks for the help but im still struggling.

What im doing is,

Select all, and copy
then i paste into a new drawing as block (ie. paste special)
then i try select all and change the color but it doesnt work.
it says the layer color is different but i dont see the change on the drawing.

The way im doing is by going to the "Format" tab then "Color" then i select my desire color but nothing changes?

can you give me a more step by step process please?
Kackac View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28.Nov.2008 at 09:23
Yes, that is the normal behavior of blocks, if you have block and change it's color, you don't change color of separate entities inside the block, ale only the color of it's wrapping, and it has effect only for enetities with color set as ByBlock.
I really think, that the better way is throuhg the xrefs... try this steps:
- command XREF - there button Attach DWG
- select the drawing you want to overlay and click open
- set overlay and everything else to 0 and OK
- if nothing is seen, zoom all
- go to Layer manager (command LAYER), there is a tree at the left side of the dialogue, unroll xref and there you see your overlayed drawing, select it
- to all layers (right part of dialogue) of your xref (select it through right mouse button - select all, or ctrl+a if the layer part of dialogue is active) change the color
- OK and exit the dialogue

repeat it for second drawing too.

Edited by Kackac - 28.Nov.2008 at 09:24
I'm sorry for my bad English. Kackac
Kajito View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28.Nov.2008 at 09:23
if you are pasting the new object as a block, than you can change the color of the object by "editing the block". You can do it by 2 commands: bedit or refedit.
You cannot simply select block and change the color. You could as well explode the block, select the exploded object, change the color, and than create new block again or you could put it into new layer with desired color.

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic