CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 7602
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Section view on mixed objects 2d and 3d

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mpiekarski View Drop Down

Using: GstarCAD21
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpiekarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Section view on mixed objects 2d and 3d
    Posted: 07.Apr.2023 at 09:20
Hello everyone, 

I'd like to ask if there is a method of displaying 2D objects using e.g. Sectin Plane? 
The command works fine on 3D solids and objects, but I also have 2D elements on the drawing. 

Generally speaking, I'm looking for a way to section through drawing elements that will show both types of objects (2d and 3d). 

I am using GstarCAD2021, but a solution for AutoCAD would be helpful too.
John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Connor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09.Apr.2023 at 13:29
Section a 2D object?  Yeah, it's called orthographic projection.  

Edited by John Connor - 09.Apr.2023 at 13:29
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpiekarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09.Apr.2023 at 15:14
Hi, thanks for the quick reply.
I don't see orthographic projection as being the answer. 
The point is that I have both types of objects (2D+3D) placed in the 3D space of the drawing. And would like to show those "behind" the cutting surface, from either mentioned type. 
I've prepared a simplified example to illustrate this.
Any thoughts on this?
John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Connor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10.Apr.2023 at 12:48
You cannot physically section a 2D object drawn in a cad program.
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

BennyBarton View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD2023
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BennyBarton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24.Apr.2023 at 06:07
Originally posted by mpiekarski mpiekarski wrote:

Hello everyone, 

I'd like to ask if there is a method of displaying 2D objects using e.g. Sectin Plane? 
The command works fine on 3D solids and objects, but I also have 2D elements on the drawing. 

Generally speaking, I'm looking for a way to section through drawing elements that will show both types of objects (2d and 3d). 

I am using GstarCAD2021, but a solution for AutoCAD would be helpful too.

Yes, you can definitely use section planes to display 2D objects along with 3D objects in both GstarCAD2021 and AutoCAD.

In GstarCAD2021, you can create a section plane by using the "SECTIONPLANE" command. Once the section plane is created, you can adjust its position and orientation using the grips that appear. You can also control the display of the section plane by adjusting its properties in the Properties Palette.

To display both 2D and 3D objects using a section plane, you'll need to make sure that the section plane is cutting through both types of objects. One way to do this is to use the "FLATSHOT" command to convert your 2D elements into a 3D solid, and then use the section plane to cut through the resulting solid. Alternatively, you can try adjusting the "HIDE" and "SHADEMODE" properties of your 2D elements to ensure that they are visible when the section plane is displayed.

In AutoCAD, the process is similar. You can use the "SECTIONPLANE" command to create a section plane, and then adjust its position and orientation as needed. To display both 2D and 3D objects, you'll need to ensure that the section plane is cutting through both types of objects. You can use the "HIDE" and "SHADEMODE" properties to adjust the display of your 2D elements.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpiekarski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24.Apr.2023 at 21:25
Hi Benny
Thank you for the hint, however I was unsuccessful in repeating what you wrote about. 
I have two doubts:
1. did you definitely mean conversion (flatshot) from 2d (e.g. line) to 3d? I ask because, it works normally 3d ->2d, but not 2d ->3d. 
2. what do you mean, by properties ("HIDE" and "SHADEMODE") in relation to a specific 2d object? 

and the most important question : can you take a look at the attached file (Plane section.dwg), because I just don't see the possibility to apply what you wrote about in it. 

Thanks in advance for your time and more detailed help. 

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic