CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 7149
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedExtrude to curved surface

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mntnbkr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Extrude to curved surface
    Posted: 05.May.2009 at 15:21
Is it possible in Inventor to extrude a sketched profile from a plane to a curved surface on another part?

I was able to do this in SolidWorks, but I can't seem to make it work with Inventor 2010.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Adam
GearHead View Drop Down

Using: Inventor
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20.May.2009 at 18:44
Yes, click on your sketch of what you had extruded or simply click share sketch to extrude to whatever plane you need it to. Sorry I am not really good explaining but hope it helped.
tonytr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04.Jun.2009 at 18:47
sorry i think in inventor cant, i also tried this before but no use, so normally i extrude to the middle( as axis) and then later i remove the inside of the cured surface using cut(if i need a hole inside the cured surface,,for example pipe..i think u got...goodluck.
GearHead View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04.Jun.2009 at 22:02
You should be able to do it, i just tried it right now. Okay if we are on the same page or what you wanted, this is what i did: you offset your plane from the edge or curved plane you want your sketch to be. after you pick that sketch and complete it, you extrude your sketch and pick distance (either) from or to your curved surface. and that shouls work.
good luckClap
bryanfuller View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21.Aug.2009 at 01:11
Here is an more easiest way to you. That first draw and profile in AutoCad and then extrude it to Inventor. 
victorot View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24.Aug.2009 at 21:18
Yes, it`s possible. I`m working with Autodesk Inventor 2010, and I gota extrude from a sketch to a surface.
Try the following suggestion:
1. You need have two skecthes, the first is a profile and the second is a surface.
OBS: The Surface size need be bigger than or equal the skecth profile.
2. Select the extrude tool.
3. Change "Extents" for "to".
4. Select the firdt profile.
5. Select the referece Surface.
6. Click OK.

If the text was a little confuse, alert me, that I post the images about it.
Victor Oliveira Tolentino

T: (+55) 5502-0000
F: (+55) 9653-4189
KobusErasmus View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05.Nov.2009 at 19:06
Sorry Brian, I cannot understand your reasoning for wanting to draw anything in Autocad and then export it into Inventor???  Inventor has a much more powerful sketch and 3D environment.  Importing a sketch, even dimensioned, from Autocad to Inventor creates too many problems on its own.  You tend to have constraint issues by the dozen. 

I have been working with IV now for a number of years and loath to import anything from Autocad...dumb solid and all that too!  Rather just sketch and model in IV.

To extrude to a curved surface is easy.  As explained already, in a part environment you need the sketch of the profile you want to extrude, then when opening extrude dialogue, just select "to next" instead of a distance.  In an assembly environment you will have to create a surface that is "adaptive" to the face of the part you want to extrude to.  Then using the same way as explained above, extrude to the surface.

Hope it helps.
Kobus Erasmus
Piping design draughting
Contract draughting
GearHead View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05.Nov.2009 at 22:51

Hey Brian I totaly agree with Kobus Erasmus, unless you want to avoide redrawing old sketchs or just want a faster way. I usually copy paste or ctl c. 

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic