CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 6046
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDisplay problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ewiebe68 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Display problems
    Posted: 19.Aug.2010 at 14:56
Hi,

I have a very frustrating problem with some files we're receiving from a subconsultant. Whenever we got a drawing from them, we get a dialog box saying the drawing was "created in a newer version of Civil 3D, etc., etc." and we have been able to open it normally in our end. We are using Civil 3D 2008, but I'm not sure what version our sub is using. Everything was fine until a few days ago when we opened up one of their drawings and the display was blank. All the layers were there (on & thawed) and had objects on them (couldn't purge). Nothing was selectable either. The drawing linework even showed up in the drawing preview before opening. I've tried xref'ing into a new drawing, exporting as shape file, but this doesn't solve anything. Has anyone encountered this type of problem before? If so, what was the cause and how was i solved?

Thanks,
Ed
Cad64 View Drop Down

Using: Autocad 2011, 3DS Max 2011, Photoshop CS5
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19.Aug.2010 at 15:54
This is an obvious question, but I have to ask. Have you opened the Xref Manager to see if the drawing has missing xrefs?
Online Portfolio: http://www.rdeweese.com/
ewiebe68 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19.Aug.2010 at 16:25
Yes, I checked for xrefs. There weren't any.

Thanks,
Ed
Cad64 View Drop Down

Using: Autocad 2011, 3DS Max 2011, Photoshop CS5
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20.Aug.2010 at 02:41
Do you have all the appropriate object enablers loaded? Although this may not help if the drawing is coming from a newer version.

Have you checked the setting of your PROXYSHOW variable?

Other than that, I think I would get on the phone and contact the guy who sent the drawing and have him explain what's going on with this file. Make him send you something that you can work with. After all, he is your sub-consultant. He works for you.

By the way, if you want to find out what version of C3D they're using, just open their file with Word and check the first line in the file. It will say something like AC1024. That number refers to the Autocad version that created the drawing. AC1024 = Autocad 2010 or 2011. A full listing of the various codes can be found here: http://autodesk.blogs.com/between_the_lines/autocad-release-history.html

Online Portfolio: http://www.rdeweese.com/
ewiebe68 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20.Aug.2010 at 17:05
I believe I have the appropriate object enablers loaded, but I don't think that's the root of the problem. I can still open up and see drawings drawing previously sent by the sub. This problem has only started since the beginning of this week.

PROXYSHOW variable 1, which is what it should be.

I have talked to sub about the problem, and they're as perplexed as me. They say the drawing open up fine for them and they haven't changed their procedure. It doesn't help that they're on the other side of the world (12 hrs ahead of me).

I have noticed one anomaly in the file header. The one's for files which display are different from those that do not display. See the attached screen caps.

I'm not sure what the difference is or if it's significant. I have tried cutting and pasting the header from the "good" file to the "bad" using a variety of editors (text & hexdecimal) with no success. I've tried changing the version with no success either. AutoCAD either does not recognize the file anymore, or it doesn't correct the issue.

I'm out of ideas at this point, so I think I'll have to get the sub to send over the stuff as DXF and  see if that helps.

Thanks for your help.

Ed

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic