CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 10978
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs it an original or a copy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15.Mar.2011 at 10:56
Maybe I'm confusing "saving" and "copying".

Anyway, with the past couple OS releases when one copies a file doesn't Windows denote the copy in some manner automatically?  I'll have to check.
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Cad64 View Drop Down

Using: Autocad 2011, 3DS Max 2011, Photoshop CS5
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15.Mar.2011 at 14:44
When I say "Copy" I'm referring to the action of right clicking on a file in windows explorer and then copy and paste. Are you talking about saving out a copy of a file from within the program? 
Online Portfolio: http://www.rdeweese.com/

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15.Mar.2011 at 15:18
Test #1.  Copy a dwg file (dated 3/1/2004) into the same directory it resides in.

Result: Using Windows XP Pro the file gets preceeded by the words "Copy of xxx.dwg".  The date of the file remains unchanged.  The file size remains the same as well.

Test #2.  Copy the same drawing file from my hard drive onto my USB flash drive and into a folder containing the exact same drawing.

Result: I first Copy, then try I to Paste.  Up pops a window with the message: "This folder already contains a file named xxx.dwg.  Would you like to replace the existing file with this one?"  There is no way to easily put a duplicate file in the folder on the USB flash drive without overwriting the file that resides there.  One would have to rename the file first.  Example: xxx[rev].dwg.

Test #3.  Copy a drawing file (dated 1/19/2001) off my hard drive to my USB flash drive.  Does the file date change in the process?

Result: No, it does not.

Is there another senario you would like me to test?

Edited by John Connor - 15.Mar.2011 at 15:37
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Cad64 View Drop Down

Using: Autocad 2011, 3DS Max 2011, Photoshop CS5
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15.Mar.2011 at 16:03
When I copy and paste a file to any location, the creation date is always today's date. If the file already exists, the file name is automatically renamed to "Filename - Copy.xxx". I don't know why it behaves differently on your machine?
Online Portfolio: http://www.rdeweese.com/

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15.Mar.2011 at 16:44
I've got such a cool machine that's why.  No, I will not sell it to you.

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic