CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 8888
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAutodesk 123D - Go Make Something

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BetweenTheLines View Drop Down
RSS robots
RSS robots

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Autodesk 123D - Go Make Something
    Posted: 19.May.2011 at 12:13

Autodesk 123D

123D is a new free 3D solid modeling software released today. 123D is intended for those wanting to make things commonly known as “Makers”. Makers of all ages will be able to create, visualize, and make their own creations. If I can sum it all up in a word one of the biggest benefits with 123D besides it being free of course is that it is a precision tool for everyone. The early beta version of the application is very powerful and this is due to its parent being from not only the leading design and visualization software company Autodesk but because it shares the same blood lines with Autodesk's professional design products. If you want to mod existing objects there are thousands of 3D parts available for free on http://www.123dapp.com/content from pipe fittings to sharks and many things in between.

This release of 123D is a public beta with updates to the product, services, and content planned for regular releases. On the 123D site it mentions “Interested in fabricating your model from materials like sliced cardboard, folded aluminum, fabric, and more? New and interesting ways to output your model for fabrication are coming soon.”

You launch the 123D product and you are presented with some learning resources to get you started on the user interface, creating sketches and objects all the way through assembling objects together.

123D Starting Menu

The User Interface makes use of the marking menus.

123D Marking Menus

You can create things from a sketch in this case I created a circle although I could have created a primitive cylinder or many other options.
Creating a circle sketch in 123D

I then used a common solid modeling operation Extrude.Extruding a circle sketch in 123D

I can even edit the edge to shape the cylinder into something more complex.

Editing a solid's edge in 123D

This experiment is after shelling the solid is beginning to look like one of those odd fittings that go on the end of a handheld hair dryer.

Blow dryer nozzle?

I can also select colors or physical materials to assign my parts instead of plastic perhaps I want to be a rebel and create the bow dryers custom nozzle out of oak.

Applying materials to my part

Now lets shift to evil creative genius mode or the crazy creative gear. In 123D I can import several file types including DWG, SKP, OBJ and more. Now I just happen to have a OBJ mesh of my head in 3D with textures created using the upcoming version of Autodesk Project Photofly. So I combine the meshes and solids coming up with my unique sprinkler head design and perhaps print it in 3D when I am done to just freak the neighborhood out.

Shaan Sprinkler Head

Go ahead let your inner evil genius with Autodesk 123D http://autode.sk/kQERNM

Videos showing 123D will be posted to the 123D YouTube Channel

More on Autodesk and the Makers revolution:
Autodesk Discusses Makers & New Industrial Revolution at Wired Conference

If you are attending the Makers Faire in San Mateo California stop by the Tech Barn and see 123D as well as our awesome partners such as TechShop and 3D Systems. I will also be wandering the huge Maker Faire event.

Cheers,
Shaan

Go to the original post...

Between the Lines - Autodesk blog by Shaan Hurley

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic