CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 5570
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPlot margins through viewports?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Steve55 View Drop Down

Using: Inventor 2010, AutoCAD 2010, Revit 2009
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plot margins through viewports?
    Posted: 21.Mar.2012 at 22:56
I have AutoCAD 2012 at work.  I do a lot of very tight plots with text and line-work combined.  If there is text within a certain distance from the left edge of a viewport, (while plotting paperspace, of course), the text is cut off.  If I do nothing other than expand the viewport, it appears in the plot.  Text is visible in the workspace, in the plot preview and in model space.  But it disappears when plotted.  This is true regardless of plotter used, plot size, color, B/W, pc3 or regular.
Usually, I just laugh it off, resize the viewport and plot again.  This time though, it really bugged me.
The plot in question contained a dynamic block with text inside it.  It's just a rectangle with an adjustable leader attached.  The rectangle, leader and even wipeout box plotted, but 1/2 the text was too close to the viewport and disappeared!  I dare you to explain this one.  Dead
John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21.Mar.2012 at 23:41
Resize the viewport so it matches up with the centerline of the nearest border.
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Steve55 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21.Mar.2012 at 23:57
I'll make an example drawing for analysis tomorrow.

John, thanks for the reply, but it doesn't really apply.  The viewport with the dynamic block was located in the upper right quadrant of a sparsely populated B size drawing, well away from any border.  (Unless I misunderstood your reply.)
John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22.Mar.2012 at 10:36
Since I've never experienced the problem even in the most complex and crowded drawings I've dealt with I'll have to wait and see what you post.
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Steve55 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22.Mar.2012 at 16:02
Sooo, I have the dwg, (edited enough for my CAD Manager), but don't see how to attach it.  
Steve55 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22.Mar.2012 at 20:57
The condition appears to be intermittent.  Yesterday, I could make it happen at will, just by enlarging or reducing the viewport.  Today, after some experimentation, I can't make it happen.
Some of my findings:

The condition seems to happen when reducing the plot from a full size D drawing being sent to a Canon iPF750 plotter down to a B size actually plotted on a Canon C2880i multipurpose machine.  I did not apply the reduction to the drawing in the plot dialog, just clicked "scale to fit".  Presto, problem occurs.  I intended to plot just the offending window, as the scans I took didn't look that great.  I selected the offending viewport with a window, applied the change of size to the drawing and boom, no problem.  Returning to the original plotter setup- no more problem.

So, to me, it appears to be some kind of interplay with the plotter drivers, 2012 plot setups and maybe Windows 7 plot handler.

Don't ya love a good mystery?  Confused
Steve55 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22.Mar.2012 at 20:58
Still don't see a way to post images or dwg's, though.
SugarCAD View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2011
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22.Mar.2012 at 22:08
Try using DROPBOX.com and post the link here.

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic