CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 6420
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedfill area with rocks and grass

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Topic: fill area with rocks and grass
    Posted: 13.Dec.2013 at 13:40
Given your lack of response I guess we can assume you have given up on this project. 
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10.Dec.2013 at 18:57

-
Thought I'd tweak it a little bit.  Now I don't normally work with materials or even do renders but I was able to come up with this small retaining wall enclosing a grassy area with a 3D tree I downloaded from the CAD Blocks section of this website.  The next step would be to light the scene (sunlight of course).  That would depend on one's geographic location, the month, day and time of day to be set prior to rendering.

BTW....the above image is not a render.  I used the Realistic visual style.  It would look better if rendered.

Edited by John Connor - 10.Dec.2013 at 23:42
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09.Dec.2013 at 12:57
-
A 3D wall with a concrete block material applied.  Visual style: Conceptual.  I did not play around with the material mapping feature very much.  I just sort of eye-balled it just so you could get a rough idea.  It would need more work obviously.

This is about as far as I want to go for the moment.  You really need to work on your basic 3D skills before even attempting something like this.

If this is for a school project then I suggest you consider using the free version of SketchUp as you'll find it easier to apply materials to 3D objects.

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09.Dec.2013 at 12:36
-
By the way, this is what a 3D wall might look like as viewed using a Conceptual visual style.  No materials have been applied yet.  The color in this case is derived from the layer the wall is situated on.  As far as the eye can tell this could be either a solid or a surface.  Since I know how I created it I can assure you it is definitely a solid.

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09.Dec.2013 at 11:32
A quick look at your drawing reveals a few problems.

The exterior linework is shown as being a lightweight polyline with a negative "Z" elevation of -0.2142.  The interior linework is called out as a region with a positive "Z" elevation of 0.1275. 

You have used a solid hatch pattern and it sits at a "Z" elevation of 0.0. 

You have an extra line and a region (vertically positioned) in the lower right hand corner of your wall that doesn't belong there.

I'm assuming since you are using an educational version of AutoCAD that you are a student.  Has your instructor gone over working in a 3D environment?

And you have one MAJOR problem.  You used the default AutoCAD template file (acad.dwt) which is set up to use decimal inches.  You are NOT working in metric units.

Although AutoCAD thinks is terms of units and 1 unit can be equal to anything (an inch, a meter, a lightyear) for the sake of expediency you should be working with a metric template file, such as acadiso.dwt, which in the end will make your life much easier.

Edited by John Connor - 09.Dec.2013 at 11:37

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09.Dec.2013 at 11:07
Normally you do not hatch a 3D object; you hatch 2D objects.

3D objects will normally have materials/textures applied.  They can be applied 'by object' or 'by layer'.  Materials can even be applied to 'faces'.  We have been over this a couple of times now and you do not seem to be able to grasp the concept.  You must have very limited or no 3D experience.

Extrude your wall then apply the appropriate material (concrete block).

Edited by John Connor - 09.Dec.2013 at 12:45

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

somaya123 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Using: autocad 2013
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09.Dec.2013 at 08:46
Thanks John,
what I need is to give the shape in the drawing height 5 cm and to be as block of concrete.
I tried to hatch it first and the hatch and lines in the same color, ten I extruded it, then I got MSG that the hatch is removed.
how can i extrude it and make at as ceramic or concrete and fill the middle area with grass with height 15 cm.
thank youuploads/415292/test.dwg

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08.Dec.2013 at 15:03
If you haven't used materials/textures before then you should read up on their use.  I think it is better to assign a material to a layer rather than to an object.  This means that any object put on a layer that has a material assigned to it will be rendered using that material.

If your object is not a mesh, a surface or a solid then you cannot assign a material to it.

Yes, EXTRUDE will give objects a height.  I thought that's what you wanted.  Aren't you doing this in 3D?  If you are doing this in 2D then you need to use hatch patterns.

Explain what you are trying to do and attach a drawing to your next post.  This is taking way too long to accomplish.

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

somaya123 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Using: autocad 2013
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08.Dec.2013 at 12:46
uploads/415292/area_Model_1.pdf
Thanks John,
I didn't sue material before.
I tried it but I couldn't assign any material to any area.?? could you advise?
I need to fill area attached, which is offset.
I tried to extrude it first, it appears that I just give height to walls!!
but I need it as concrete block t but it does not appear that one block or assign material not active.
I appreciate your response.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04.Dec.2013 at 13:34
As regards stones and grass my answer remains the same.  Use materials (or textures).  You'll have to make use of a "bump map" to give the appearance of height.  BTW...you can attach materials by object or by layer.  Attaching by layer is more efficient.

You can find 3D trees here and at other CAD related websites.  Before downloading any of them look at their initial file size then do the math.  You should be able to estimate how much adding a certain amount of trees will add to your drawing file size. 

What are the specs on your computer?

Edited by John Connor - 04.Dec.2013 at 14:08

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic