CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 16778
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedstl conversion to dwg

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
clare8200 View Drop Down

Using: autocad2013
Direct Link To This Post Topic: stl conversion to dwg
    Posted: 02.Dec.2013 at 21:25
Hi,
Working on Autocad Mechanical 2013. I'm an inventor designing parts for my 3d printer, all works well except:

I've just used the utility here to convert some stl files to a dfx format. The converted files open, however instead of a closed object such as a gear being one part, it's over 2480 parts! Every faucet on the surface is a separate part.

With my limited knowledge in AutoCad concepts I've tried everything to convert these parts into usable objects but nothing seems to work. If I select the parts and "convert to solid" I get a notification that these parts can't be converted.

How would one combine all the thousands of parts that result when doing an stl conversion into simpler more usable objects? 

Thanks in advance if anyone here could share some insight. 
rs_higgins View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Using: AutoCad 7-2020, SW 14, PRO-E died
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17.Dec.2013 at 19:19
I not sure what tool you used to convert but this happens with some tools. Try Inventor Fusion 2013 R1 free from Autodesk. You open the file with Inventor Fusion then save as to change it to dwg, dxf, dwf, or an array of other formats. Big smile
No electrons were harmed in the making of this post. I will admit a few protons were momentarily Inconvenienced
janetkissho View Drop Down

Using: inventor2012
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26.Dec.2013 at 15:38
autodesk is a very good software for this work you can see more recommendations here.

Edited by janetkissho - 26.Dec.2013 at 15:39
John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26.Dec.2013 at 16:18
AutoDesk is a company; Inventor is just one of the programs (software) they are responsible for.
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

rs_higgins View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Using: AutoCad 7-2020, SW 14, PRO-E died
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23.Jan.2014 at 17:18
I know the this post is old but the file for Inventor Fusion 2013 has moved and is hard to find
You can go here to get the Inventor Fusion 2013 free.
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-Fusion/Inventor-fusion-2013-R1-download-link/td-p/4299406
2nd comment.
There is a 32bit and 64bit insure that you download the correct version for you system.
Not confuse "Inventor Fusion 2013" with "Inventor"
Great For Converting files between most 3d software. Sorry it does not do PDF.Wink
No electrons were harmed in the making of this post. I will admit a few protons were momentarily Inconvenienced

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic