CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 11126
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProblem installing Autocad 14 on new 64 bit comput

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Livermore user View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD release 13 and 14
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problem installing Autocad 14 on new 64 bit comput
    Posted: 13.Dec.2013 at 21:44
Hello, I've been using AutoCAD for quite some time. The last version I purchased was release 14 and have been using it on my computer with Windows XP. That machine died recently and I had to buy a new computer. It has Windows 8 and is a 64 bit. When I tried installing AutoCAD, a message came up saying it will not install on a 64 bit machine. Is there a driver update or other method of migrating to this new machine. Unfortunately buying it again is not possible since it's too expensive. What are my options?

Thanks,
Rick
Livermore user
John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13.Dec.2013 at 21:54
I read somewhere that a handful of people got older releases of AutoCAD to run on 64-bit machines by using XP compatibility mode.

Release 14...one of my favorite.  Are you doing strictly 2D work?
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13.Dec.2013 at 22:03
John, Thanks for replying. I'll see if there is such a thing as XP compatibility mode. Windows 8 is all new to me so there will be a short learning curve. Yes. I have only been doing 2D work.
Livermore user

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13.Dec.2013 at 22:09
The problem you are facing is that release 14 uses a 16-bit installer.  That was OK with XP because it supported both 32-bit and 16-bit.  You can't use a 16-bit installer on a 64-bit computer because it is not supported.

Since you do strictly 2D there is another option but first I have a question. Do you use any lisp routines?

Edited by John Connor - 13.Dec.2013 at 22:10
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13.Dec.2013 at 22:19
You might find an answer in this thread posted over at AutoDesk Discussion Groups.  Warning: It is quite long.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-R12-R13-R14-DWG-Format/R14-Windows-Vista/td-p/1892221/page/9

Option of last resort.

If you do not use lisp routines then you can upgrade your CAD program to something a little more recent.  The company known as Dessault Systemes, makers of Solidworks, has a FREE 2D AutoCAD-like program called DraftSight available at their website along with a FREE getting started manual in PDF form.  The program is available in 32-bit and 64-bit versions so you'll have no problem running it on your new computer.  And it's FREE!

The only caveat is that while it can read and write to the DWG file format it cannot read files created in versions of AutoCAD after 2010.  Somehow I don't think that will be a problem for you.

Good luck.

Edited by John Connor - 13.Dec.2013 at 22:41

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14.Dec.2013 at 01:14
John, Thanks again. I tried the compatibility mode but that didn't work. No lisp routines. I'll try the other route also. Regards...
Livermore user
rs_higgins View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Using: AutoCad 7-2020, SW 14, PRO-E died
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17.Dec.2013 at 18:47
If you download the r-14 trial version form Autodesk and use you use you serial number and licensing info during set up this should work for you. remember to install the service pack also.
No electrons were harmed in the making of this post. I will admit a few protons were momentarily Inconvenienced

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17.Dec.2013 at 19:03
rs: Release 14 is not the same as 2014.

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

tomhurns View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29.Jun.2014 at 07:17
This is the defacto way to install R14 on Windows 7 and Windows 8 32bit or 64bit - http://blog.longbowsoftware.com/installing-autocad-r14-on-windows-7-and-windows-8/ 

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic