CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 8035
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closeddwg file crawler to extract and search text

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
tumpliner View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD2012, NanoCAD
Direct Link To This Post Topic: dwg file crawler to extract and search text
    Posted: 09.Jun.2015 at 16:02
I have written an addin program that works with NanoCAD (a free compatible program with full AutoCAD-- at least for two dimensions) that can be set to open and extract text, mtext, attribute and embedded text from all dwg files that match a given pattern or pattern, and are located below a root folder on your computer. The extracted texts go into a database that can be searched. All found instances of a word or words are listed. You can click on an item to open the drawing and zoom to the text.
What is this good for? It is great when you have hundreds or thousands or tens of thousands, or even hundreds of thousands of drawings, and you want to cut and paste details that you drew earlier, or that any of your colleagues have drawn. Who can remember where all those details are when you want to use them again? You may not even know that there are details your colleagues have drawn that you would want to use.
Why NanoCAD? It is free, so I figured that more people would have access to it. You can download NanoCAD 5.0 from nanocad.com.
Why not AutoCAD? It is not free, but if someone is really interested, I can recompile the program to use with AutoCAD-- for a fee.
Where can it be downloaded from? ncadaddons.tumpliner.com
What is the catch? I have a little spiel about the ethics of group interaction that I would like you to read and click to accept before using the program. I do not think it should be objectionable, but I think the data should be better known.

tumpliner View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09.Jun.2015 at 16:14
Yes, I forgot to add-- this is freeware. There is no charge. I am actually a little amazed that noone has made this type of addon available before- there must be a great need for it by now with so many thousands of legacy drawings that must have been generated by now. It was also not that difficult to write. It was an intermediate level of programming, but not advanced.
Actually, I am not convinced that there are not other addons like this out there somewhere-- but I could not find one available to the public. I did run across one company that had written one for their own use.
I would be happy to hear your feedback.
tumpliner View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24.Jun.2015 at 00:56
The copy I had up on the website for download was not working. I have it fixed as of 6/22/15, Monday. If you have downloaded it before, I apologize. Please try downloading it again.
John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24.Jun.2015 at 12:04
I'm not sure you'll find any nanoCAD users active in this forum.
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24.Jun.2015 at 18:31
One can basically search AutoCAD drawings using name, location, date filters, keywords, etc. using the methods described in the link below that references AutoCAD 2010...

http://docs.autodesk.com/ACD/2010/ENU/AutoCAD%202010%20User%20Documentation/index.html?url=WS1a9193826455f5ffa23ce210c4a30acaf-7865.htm,topicNumber=d0e19554

So as to your offer to recompile your nanoCAD lisp specific program to work in AutoCAD, for a fee, I say "Thanks, but no thanks."

Edited by John Connor - 24.Jun.2015 at 18:34
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

tumpliner View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24.Jun.2015 at 19:23
John Connor,
     thanks for the reply. I did check the link you posted. I did not realize that AutoCAD has this capability. Do you know if it works? If I remember right, I tried a Microsoft Search tool a few years ago that was supposed to find text within a drawing. I could not get it to work. That was about 3 or 4 years ago. I might have been using AutoCAD2009 then.

tumpliner View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24.Jun.2015 at 19:26
Also, I would guess that the Microsoft Search would be EXTREMELY slow for searching tens of thousands of drawings. DwgCrawler is indexed, so the results are almost instantaneous once you have crawled the data. Also, like I suggested, you can use it as freeware if you download and install a free copy of NanoCAD. Then just use NanoCAD when you need to search on something.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24.Jun.2015 at 20:31
Now I get the impression you are just here to push nanoCAD.

Windows search indexing is enabled when the program is installed.  Most users don't know about it and even if they did many wouldn't even know how to disable the feature unless they went looking for a solution online (ex. - Microsoft or PCWorld website).

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Vladimir Michl View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Arkance Systems CZ

Using: Autodesk software
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25.Jun.2015 at 07:46
Of course both Windows Search and AutoCAD Content Center use indexed data to find the searched DWG faster. Plus, neither NanoCAD nor other AutoCAD clone (fake) fully understands the DWG format and all its objects so your drawing entities could be misinterpreted.
Vladimir Michl (moderator)
Arkance Systems - arkance-systems.cz - Autodesk reseller
tumpliner View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25.Jun.2015 at 16:06
Actually, NanoCAD exposes the same API that AutoCAD does for use with VB.NET or C#.NET, so it must be able to understand the dwg database architecture just fine. Also, I have used it for years, importing and exporting to dwg. I have never had a problem opening any of those files with AutoCAD, or any AutoCAD dwg with NanoCAD. I don't think any other clone can say that. There is nothing fake about it.
I have never heard of AutoCAD Content Center. Are you referring to the one used with Inventor? I would not know anything about that. I have only used AutoCAD and NanoCAD for 2D work. This is not aimed at 3D work.
Speaking of not understanding the structure of AutoCAD's database-- I doubt if Windows does a great job of that. Will it find text embedded in block refs, attribute text, mtext and regular text? I doubt it. I have seen several comments of it not working fully. I have not seen any comment that it does work fully. I think I read somewhere that it does not pick up everything in formats after 2010.
You know, it sounds like you have some other prejudice against NanoCAD, and I am curious what that may be.

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic