CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 8373
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBART Warm Springs Extension is in service thanks to #AutoCAD and #3dsM

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AliveInTheLab View Drop Down
RSS robots
RSS robots

Direct Link To This Post Topic: BART Warm Springs Extension is in service thanks to #AutoCAD and #3dsM
    Posted: 28.Mar.2017 at 04:00

System-map
image source: BART.gov

My longtime friend and former neighbor, Paul Medved, is a project manager for BART. Paul and I have kayaked together.

Kayak

With a background in civil engineering, Paul's latest project was the Warm Springs extension for BART. BART is the Bay Area Rapid Transit train system that transports families, students, and commuters to/from Oakland/San Francisco and surrounding cities. BART has about 107 miles of track that is 5'6" wide where 669 train cars travel at an average of 35 mph but can reach speeds of 80 mph. BART fares are based on travel. Riders tag on when entering a station and tag off when exiting a station. The fare is computed based on the distance between the two stations.

The Warms Springs extension went into service on Saturday, March 25, 2017. The new station's location is 5.4 miles south of the Fremont stop.

Since I work at Autodesk, Paul and I often talk shop. Paul's been very happy with AutoCAD and 3ds Max and how those tools help bring this project to completion. As Paul can attest, some of the delays in the station's opening were caused by the difficulty of getting the station's modern technology to work with the existing BART system. Paul noted that it really was a team effort.

BART has grown over time. Previous extensions have included: Colma, Pittsburgh/Bay Point, Dublin/Pleasanton, San Francisco Airport, West Dublin, and Oakland Airport. The Warm Springs extension was completed at half the cost of the San Francisco Airport extension and came in $100 million under budget. (Thanks, Paul.) The Warm Springs extension gets BART closer to San Jose. Dionne Warwick once asked: "Do you know the way to San Jose?" Paul's answer is yes. The first step to go from Fremont to Warm Springs.

Trains are alive in the lab.

Go to the original post...

It's Alive in ihe Lab - Autodesk Labs blog by Scott Sheppard

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic