CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 3935
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAutoCAD Questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
chickenjoe View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD2011
Direct Link To This Post Topic: AutoCAD Questions
    Posted: 07.May.2012 at 01:08
I am working on a study guide for my exam and I cannot find those 4 questions on my textbook. It would be great if you could answer any of them!
1. What are the 3 types of paths that can be used for storing an XREF?
2. DO you need to be in paper space or model space to resize a viewport?
3. When using the properties window to edit a dimension, what is the effect on the dimension style?4. What is the procedure to set annotative text to a specific scale?
4. The difference between the OFF option and the FREEZE option is that the frozen layers are not ______ by the computer while regenerating the drawing.
Smile
heinsite View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2014
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07.May.2012 at 02:32
Let's try the Socratic method here... Wink

1.  Open a new drawing.  Go to Insert > Reference > Attach and select a drawing to attach.  Then, click the down arrow in the Path type section.  You'll find your answer there.

2.  Create a Viewport in both Model and Paper space.  The answer will become immediately obvious.

3.  The first part of this question doesn't make any sense.  If it came from your instructor it needs to be clarified.  The answer to the second part of this question can be found in either the Properties palette or on the Status bar of the Model space window.

4.  If the answer to this question is not in your textbook you need to find a new textbook!  Or, you need to look at every reference to Freeze in the index again.  Short of that, go into the AutoCAD Help system and look up Freeze.  The answer is there.

Dave.
Dave Hein, P.E.
Hawaii District Engineer
Kona International Airport
AutoCAD Certified Professional
Autodesk Expert Elite

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07.May.2012 at 06:08
Thank you Mr. Hein!
It was probably better that you let me find the answer instead of giving them to me. Thanks again!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07.May.2012 at 07:17
if you can answer to this question it would be great...
What are 2 ways to access a listing of all blocks in the current drawing?
heinsite View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07.May.2012 at 10:53
1.  If you wanted to place a new block in a drawing, how would you do it?  There's one answer there.

2.  If you wanted to create a new block in a drawing, what command would you use?  There's another answer there.

Good luck!
Dave.

Edited by heinsite - 07.May.2012 at 10:59
Dave Hein, P.E.
Hawaii District Engineer
Autodesk Expert Elite

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09.May.2012 at 03:10
I got them now thank you.

I have another question (not from a study guide but from actual drawing).
I am currently drawing a layout for a subdivision, front view of houses, window, and door. I have to put dimensions for lengths and other things. (The houses are about 80 units wide and 40 units high)

I have to turn them in with a template and when I do that, the numbers are too small to read.

What commands do I use to be able to see the numbers on template? 
heinsite View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09.May.2012 at 03:16
First, define for me what you mean by "template".  When I hear that word I immediately think of DWT files.  But somehow in this context that doesn't seem correct.  By any chance do you mean "layout"?

Next, when you made your dimensions, did you create an annotative dimstyle and use it?  Or, are your dimensions non-annotative?  And when you placed your dimension objects did you put them in the model with the building objects themselves?

With the answers to these questions we can move on.  I suspect also you meant to say "plan view" of the subdivision... not "front view".  But you can correct me if this is wrong.

Dave.

Edited by heinsite - 09.May.2012 at 03:18
Dave Hein, P.E.
Hawaii District Engineer
Autodesk Expert Elite

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09.May.2012 at 03:36
My professor prefers to have a drawing in a rectangle with some information on it (drawn by: , Assignment #:, etc.) and he calls it a template. 

And I draw thing on Model view and I want my drawings to be on Layout 1, Layout 2, etc. 

and no. I did not create annotative dimstyle. I am not sure how to do it.

Thanks

heinsite View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09.May.2012 at 04:02
Okay then.  I can't think of a better way to convince you to figure out how to use Annotative dimensioning than the process you are about to go thru.  The way you have to do this now is the way AutoCAD users had to do things for years.  You'll need to compute the scale factor necessary to take text objects from model space to your layout views so that they appear at a size you would like.

To do this you need to consider what scales you are using in the Layouts.  This will determine how large you need to make your text in the model.  Here's an example:

Let's say you want all text in the Layout to be 0.15 inches high.  If your Layout viewport is 1"=100', how large does your text need to be to appear 0.15" high in the viewport?  This is a little more tricky if you are using imperial scales, but the concept is the same.

Now, here's the tricky bit.  If you have multiple viewports with different scales you'll need to use differently sized text objects in the model, right?  And what if you only want things to show in the right viewports?  You'll need to put them on different layers.

Have a crack at this and let us know if you still need help.

btw, Annotative dimstyles take care of all this for you!  All you do there is specify how large you want the text to appear in your layouts and AutoCAD does the rest!  There are a few details to keep track of, but for the most part it's a piece of cake.  And no messing with layer control tricks either.

Do it the hard way first.  That's always best.  You'll appreciate the easy way more later.

Dave. 
Dave Hein, P.E.
Hawaii District Engineer
Autodesk Expert Elite

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09.May.2012 at 05:23
Maybe I should go back a little bit. I am trying to insert a part of my drawing into the Layout 1 by using WBLOCK and then INSERT. 

nothing shows up even though I followed every single youtube videos, AutoCAD help, etc. what could i possibly be doing? 

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic