See your Inventor 'BIN' folder for Inventor import plug-ins applicable in 3ds max and Autodesk VIZ.
Autodesk Inventor provides a plug-in for importing Inventor parts and assemblies into
3D Studio Max and VIZ versions 4, 5, 6 and higher. This plug-in consists of 5 files: InventorImport.dli, InventorUtility.dlu, plus InventorImportRes.dll for max 4 and 5 and InventorImport_Max6.dli, InventorUtility_Max6.dlu for 3ds max 6, 7, etc.
Install the plugin as follows:
- Copy the script file LoadInventorImporter.ms into the scripts startup directory of your installed Max or Viz (e.g. C:\Program Files\Autodesk VIZ 4\scripts\startup)
- If your Inventor installation path is different from C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor 9\Bin, edit the .MS file and correct the path (mind the double-backslashes)
- Start Max/Viz
- In the Customize menu on the main menu bar, select "Configure Paths". Select the Plug-Ins tab on the dialog and add the path to the Inventor Import Plug-In.
- Restart Viz/Max for your changes to take effect
- Now you can read Autodesk Inventor Part, Assembly and Presentation files into Viz/Max - through "File > Import" or just by drag-and-drop.
Higher versionos of 3ds Max can import Inventor models directly.