CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 9143
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedImporting .DWG files into an IAM

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SmurfTAcular View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Importing .DWG files into an IAM
    Posted: 07.Nov.2009 at 23:04
Here's the delema: I have AutoCAD 2009 files with a .DWG format. There 3D. Thats great, but when I open them in inventor they are just a skeleton of the 3D model (if you know what i mean). How do I make them solid looking? Also, I want to create an assembly of the DWG files. How do I import the DWG's into an IAM and assemble something? thanks
KobusErasmus View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10.Nov.2009 at 11:35
Two answers to this question.
1. As far as I understand you cannot insert an Autocad 3D component straight into an Inventor assembly.  I might be wrong on this, tried it but I get an error message.  Granted I work on 2008, might have changed since then.
2. To open an Autocad 3d model in Inventor:
 a. Click on open, make sure file type includes *.dwg
 b. Select the file you want to open.
 c. Next to the "Open" you will find two others - "Find..." and "Options..."
 d. Click on "Options..." - it will open a smaller window giving you 2 options to choose from - "Open" or "Import" - by default "Open" is selected.
 e. Select "Import" and click on "Ok" - you will return to the "File open" dialogue box.
 f. Click on "Open" now.
 g. You should now see a dialogue box opening "DWG/DXG File Wizard"
 h. First pages should not give you any option but "AutoCAD or AutoCAD Mechanical File" which should be selected by default.
 i. Click on "Next"
 j. Next page has more options but the following should be selected: "3D Solids" "Detected units" and under "Destination for 2D data" "New drawing"
 k. If you get more experience you might start playing with the settings here to get different results.
 l. Click on "Finish" and IV should now go through the process of opening the Autocad 3D model.  Normally it creates 2 screens, one being an *.idw and the other either an *.ipt or an *.iam.  I discard the *.idw because it normally contains nothing, and save the *.ipt or the *.iam as a new file.

However, when starting this process you might get an error message in the beginning stating something about the validity or license of the software (again an issue with 2008).  Just uninstall OEMView through your Control Panel and it should work.

This should help you.

Regards
Kobus

Kobus Erasmus
Piping design draughting
Contract draughting

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic