CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 18995
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow to send large drawings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
pablo24 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to send large drawings
    Posted: 15.Dec.2009 at 02:19
Well, I used to use Yousendit to send large drawings.  But sometimes, the end user do not download them in time. 

What do you think of this new service: www.shipyourdata.com wich allow you to upload your drawings, burn a CD on-line and get it delivered overnight in USA or Canada ?

plz let me know!

Thanks.

tulip3D View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD2011, Inventor2011
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16.Dec.2009 at 14:39
What do i think? lol, that i could just do that myself. or upgrade outlook to handle gigabit files. or use 'pack and go', then stuff it all into a zipped folder....or..lol theres a million ways to skin the cat of file transfer, none of which have to involve a 3rd party.
personally, i wouldnt do it. and then on top of all that, what about confidentiality? or however you spell that, lol. stupid spell checkErmm
WinKen View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17.Apr.2010 at 22:57
A contractor recently sent me drawings via a service that I think was called  "Send BIG drawings" ........

----------- I wonder where they came up with that idea???!!!!!  Wink

Anyway, it was the first time that I had ever seen that service.

Sometimes I've had to split drawings up into smaller packets and send them.
Cad64 View Drop Down

Using: Autocad 2011, 3DS Max 2011, Photoshop CS5
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18.Apr.2010 at 00:09
I send and receive files through email every day. Sometimes the zip files can get up around 10mb, but 90% of the time they are much smaller than that. There have been times that I've broken the transfer into 2 or 3 emails in order to send all the files, and on rare occasions I will burn a disk and overnight it, but I've never had to involve a 3rd party online service.

So my question is, why can't you just send your files via email? If this is an ongoing issue, maybe you should look into setting up an ftp site.

Or maybe Pablo is just a spammer trying to advertise his new file transfer website, that delivers overnight in USA and Canada? LOL
Online Portfolio: http://www.rdeweese.com/
Tankman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18.Apr.2010 at 12:47
If you have a website, files could be uploaded to your site host; i.e.:

The public need not know the drawing is online.
The intended recipient would be sent the web address; i.e.:

You could also use any web storage service, to store drawings.
Years ago, I did this at work, to retrieve the files when I got home or to my destination. Worked great for many large files.

Keep in mind, the public can't see or download the data. Only the intended receiver, given the URL, could download the file(s).

Breaking the email files into multiple emails is a very good way to move data as Cad64 pointed out. Many corporate email programs will deny files over whatever limits they might have put in place.

Many ISP's also offer storage and/or URL's to their subscribers as part of the package deal. That location is also unknown until you pass it out to your intended receiver.

Edited by Tankman - 18.Apr.2010 at 12:50
Tankman

"When the well's dry, we'll all know the value of water."
bcbenton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18.Apr.2010 at 21:42
I haven't had any issues with YouSendIt.  They give you seven days to download.  It it takes that long then the file isn't that important.  I also use Dropbox.  it is free.  It sets up a a virtual folder that you can allow users to have access to.  It is free up to 2 gigs of data at a time.  You can set up folders for your clients where you can put your files.  if you need more space, get the premium service.
For AutoCAD Tips & Tricks
CAD-a-Blog
Tankman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19.Apr.2010 at 00:26
Thanks for the tip, goin' to look at both YouSendIt and Dropbox.

Thanks again.
Tankman

"When the well's dry, we'll all know the value of water."
Cad64 View Drop Down

Using: Autocad 2011, 3DS Max 2011, Photoshop CS5
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19.Apr.2010 at 01:42
Originally posted by bcbenton bcbenton wrote:

I haven't had any issues with YouSendIt.  They give you seven days to download.  It it takes that long then the file isn't that important.

Of course. There's nothing wrong with YouSendIt. Some of our clients use it when they need to send us files. And as you said, the files don't need to stay up there indefinitely. I would say that most people probably download the files within 24 hours of receiving the email notice, right? I know I do. Pablo is just trying to badmouth them and get people to check out his file transfer site. You notice he never came back to check out replies.
Online Portfolio: http://www.rdeweese.com/
pablo24 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19.Apr.2010 at 20:37
I use Yousendit everyday.    My files can be over 100MB, that is why email is useless.

But when customers do not download the files, I have to send it on a CD.
Sending CD is a solution when customer satisfaction is important.

The way I see it, www.shipyourdata.com is a complement for yousendit.  It is also more expensive. 

jjgrogan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20.Apr.2010 at 10:39
Sendit and various other websites are great if you have an understanding with your client that this is the prefered medium of transfering data however from what you're saying it seams to me you do not have an agreement in place with the client to use these websites.

I think you will get yourself in a lot of trouble with this. sooner or later you will find yourself in a situation where the client will not receive the information & the finger will be pointed at you for not using a preagreed medium. All well and good if you're only talking small projects however as I work on large projects +100 million euro I personally wouldn't dream of using these websites where confidentiality is such a big issue.

remember not always will the recipient of the data be as familiar with these websites or how to download from them as a technician would. For this reason I would still recommend emailing or posting a CD where possible.

I do use a website for 1 of my projects (www.buildonline.com). However I do have an agreement with the client to use this. in fact it was their idea.

Edited by jjgrogan - 20.Apr.2010 at 10:40

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic