CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 8748
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCan't move objects up or down Zaxis with Ortho on

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jimizman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can't move objects up or down Zaxis with Ortho on
    Posted: 30.Apr.2010 at 18:09
I am not a pro at 3D modelling with Autocad but have some time in it and felt pretty comfortable.  Just recently, I have been floored by my inability to move any objects, 2D or 3D, up or down along the Z-axis with ortho on.  It locks it to where I can only go x or y.  I like the ortho control to keep things lined up.  When I first started doing 3D in Autocad, I had the same problem until I realized that I needed to have the view set to one of the set (front, left, etc.) and then it would work.  It is not the case now. 
I can only move items up or down by turning the ortho off and having free movement or if I change my view from the preset front, side, or rear to a preset isometric view.  Weird because in the isometric views, I can move up and down locked to the z-axis and ortho restrained with no problems.  Why can't I do this looking straight at it?!?!?  Oh ya, I don't have it set to perspective either. 
I have run the repair on the Autocad Architecture 2010 install.  I have Googled many different phrases trying to get some info and nothing.  Can anyone shed some light on this issue for me?  I'm pulling my hair out in disgust and confusion.  Thank you in advance for any help.

Edited by jimizman - 30.Apr.2010 at 18:23
CarlB View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30.Apr.2010 at 20:56
You need to have more than "view" set to a plane other than x-y, you need to set your ucs to a different plane (to move in the z direction while ortho is on). One way to do this is use the "ucs" "view" command.

You could also move in the z, regardless of view or ucs, by using relative coordinate input to the move command rather than dragging.
Arben.Allaraj View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2008
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01.May.2010 at 10:46
Originally posted by jimizman jimizman wrote:

I am not a pro at 3D modelling with Autocad but have some time in it and felt pretty comfortable.  Just recently, I have been floored by my inability to move any objects, 2D or 3D, up or down along the Z-axis with ortho on.  It locks it to where I can only go x or y.  I like the ortho control to keep things lined up.  When I first started doing 3D in Autocad, I had the same problem until I realized that I needed to have the view set to one of the set (front, left, etc.) and then it would work.  It is not the case now. 
I can only move items up or down by turning the ortho off and having free movement or if I change my view from the preset front, side, or rear to a preset isometric view.  Weird because in the isometric views, I can move up and down locked to the z-axis and ortho restrained with no problems.  Why can't I do this looking straight at it?!?!?  Oh ya, I don't have it set to perspective either. 
I have run the repair on the Autocad Architecture 2010 install.  I have Googled many different phrases trying to get some info and nothing.  Can anyone shed some light on this issue for me?  I'm pulling my hair out in disgust and confusion.  Thank you in advance for any help.

Try this : Vpoint-->1,-1,1 and try to move in Z Axis.
Ing Arben.Allaraj
http://cad-drafting-corner.blogspot.com
jimizman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03.May.2010 at 17:16
CarlB, 
I entered "UCS" then "VIEW" and it did work.  I can move up and down in ortho.  However, now the "front" view is now "top". 
This is funny because I have 2 other computers with Autocad Architecture 2010 and I can move along z-axis without chaning the view.  Is there a setting that might have been changed on this computer?  Can't figure out what happened.
Thanks CarlB.  I can work efficiently again. 

Edited by jimizman - 03.May.2010 at 17:43
RobertCostello View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09.Jun.2010 at 15:51
if anyone knows how to make the UCS automatically adjust to View please share...

I work in the same way and this autocad I am using does not automatically adjust the UCS when Front, Left, etc...

its not a feature I'd like to lose
I'd rather not type "ucs v" every time i zoom around..

my ArchDeskTop 3.3 automatically adjusts ucs to view...

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic