CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 6692
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedStarting College Course in CAD-Any help?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bobdob View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Using: About to learn
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starting College Course in CAD-Any help?
    Posted: 02.Sep.2013 at 21:19
Hi all,
I'm a newbie on here so please take it easy with me. Basically, I am due to start a Level 2 CAD course in college in a few weeks and I would love any tips or help that anyone can offer? Any reading material/Youtube clips or links would be greatly appreciated! I am very keen to learn.

Thank you in advance,
Bob
msplcdykee69 View Drop Down

Using: Civil 3D, Map, Inventor, Mechanical, & Electrical
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02.Sep.2013 at 21:25
What ever CAD your deciding to learn broaden your abilities do not learn just one kind... Learn multiple ones... Mastering books are pretty good.. (Good example books are: Mastering Civil 3D 2013, Mastering Map 2013, Mastering AutoCAD 2013)  These types of books are pretty good. Learning different types CAD can broaden your learning curves and teach you more than you realize.

I hope this answers your question..
Engineering Manufacturing Medical Cables/Adjunct Instructor Engineering Graphics/Engineering Computations and Careers

msplcdykee69@yahoo.com

Shawn
Bobdob View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02.Sep.2013 at 21:33
That is fantastic advice, thank you. Yes, I am planning to cover as much as I can in the next few years and am willing to study (evenings) for at least the next five years so hopefully in that time I can cover quite a bit.
John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03.Sep.2013 at 00:23
What is your ultimate goal?  Why are you studying CAD?
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

heinsite View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2014
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04.Sep.2013 at 09:37
You can learn enough from Ascent study guide materials to pass the Autodesk certification exams.  You may learn more from them, and faster, than any college course.  They get right to the point.

Have a look Here.  Lots to choose from depending on your specialty.

Dave.
Dave Hein, P.E.
Hawaii District Engineer
Kona International Airport
AutoCAD Certified Professional
Autodesk Expert Elite
Bobdob View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04.Sep.2013 at 22:08
Apologies Dave and John, and thank you both for your help.

To be honest, my primary 'goal' is just to be competent enough at CAD to gain employment. I am currently a full time Welder in the manufacturing trade but would like to make the progression to using CAD. Ultimately I want to be as qualified as I possibly can. I hope this is not too vague?
John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04.Sep.2013 at 23:58
You don't need a college degree to do that.  A couple of good AutoCAD/Inventor college courses is enough to get you started.  Community colleges offer courses at fairly reasonable prices.  Books are a bit outrageous though. 
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

heinsite View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2014
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05.Sep.2013 at 00:03
The Ascent manuals will get you very competent... no question.  They are a little pricey ($75-100/ea with shipping) but are very well suited to learning what you need to know to be proficient all the way up to becoming fully certified in a product if that's a goal.  Personally I struggled with the, "Mastering...", and "Using...", etc AutoCAD books for years.  It wasn't until Ascent came along that my learning curve really took off.  Ascent publishes very much a home study, at your own pace, type of learning system.

I should add that I went this route because there are no college or community college options available near me.

Dave

Edited by heinsite - 05.Sep.2013 at 00:05
Dave Hein, P.E.
Hawaii District Engineer
Kona International Airport
AutoCAD Certified Professional
Autodesk Expert Elite

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic