CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 14668
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWall Dynamic block with free angles/corners ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
hlander View Drop Down

Using: Autocad2013
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wall Dynamic block with free angles/corners ?
    Posted: 11.Apr.2020 at 13:20
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to make a 2D dynamic block for outside walls (plan view)
You'll get my example in the file here attached. (I used Autocad 2017 - metrics - centimeters)

The wall has as different linear parameters:
- Ext. lenght (this will be the reference lenght where I want to keep the basepoint)
- Inside lenght
- total tickness 
- inner layers thicknesses : Thick 1. Thick 2. & Thick 3.

I added different stretch actions to be able to modify all those linears parameters.
The proble is that I want to be able to get a free movment on the right part in order to get free angle/corner connections.

If I didn't have the different inner layers (Thick 1, 2, 3), it would have been very easy to get free angles
+ If I had straight 90 degrees angles (= not free), it would have been very easy to get free angles differrent inner layers with their proprer thicknesses.

The problem here is that I can't manage getting a full working dynamic blocks with both inner layers thicknesses AND free angles.

What happens when testing the block :

On first move, if I make the different wall thicknesses bigger, everything is fine
I can also stretch the bottom line (Ext. lenght) and upper line (In. lenght) in both directions : right an left, , everything is fine, and free angle seems to work properly as the 2 grips stay at their proper place at the end of bottom and upper lines.

The problems appear when, after making a free angle, I try to change again the different wall thicknesses (total + inner 1, 2 & 3).
At thas moment, the 2 grips for stretching bottom and upper lines move from the end of the 2 lines because their are influenced by the change of angle of the side line on the right.
If the 2 grips don't stay at the end point on the right of bottom and upper lines, then my block is not longer functional & becomes useless.

- - - 

I found a "half-solution" for the first inner layer (Thick.1) : 
- I added another stretch action (stretch 6) on it selecting the end of the bottom line in the selection frame 
- I changed the the "Angle offset" parameter from "0" to "90".
- I selected the linear parameter from the bottom line (Ext. lenght) and set the "Chain actions" parameter on "YES".

So now, when I change the first inner tickness (Thick.1) the grip at the end of the bottom line stays at the right place (end point of the line) envent if the side angle changes.

I call that a "half solution for 3 reasons :
- I didn't manage to do the same for the grip that streches the lenght of the upper line
- I didn't manage to do the same for the 2 other inner layers (Thick.2 & 3),  
- Event if the grip stays at the right end of bottom line, changing the different thicknesses always make changes to the angle on the right.

For the use of this dynamic bloc for walls it's a big issue because imagine if I put a wall with an corner connection of 45? angle : Perfect !!
Then if the angle changes every time I change one a thickness value, the I have to readjust the angle every time.
If I have different wall blocks for a big buiding, It would become a tough work to readjust avery angles of every walls in the drawing.
... and then again my block becomes useless.

Moreover, this exemple was made for a wall with a straight and fixed side on the left. Everything is only strechable to the right.
I thought it might be easier to solve those questions with only 1 side stretched (and only 1 grip for each). 
If some of you manage the help me with this, The "step beyond" would be to make it work for a wall strechable on both directions, right and left.
For that we could do the same with "Linear Stretch Pair" and 2 grips for both bottom and upper lines lenghts.

Anothe idea about the angle proble :
Maybe it would be possible to solve this in another way than stretching the upper line (Inside lenght)
The bottom line could be the only one to stretch (as it is the reference lengh where we have the bas point), an then we could add "rotate action" or a "angular constraint parameter"...
I thought that would be even easier but I didn't manage to make it functionnal either.

Thanks a lot for your help !!

Gael

Edited by hlander - 11.Apr.2020 at 14:45
hlander View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12.Apr.2020 at 11:02
My explanations are a bit too long...
Best is to open the attached file and to check problems by yourself.
My text can describe you the problems that occurred at the same time you try by yourself.
Thanks a lot in advance !!
hlander View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27.Apr.2020 at 11:52
Hello Again !!
No one can help ??
Thanks again ! 
Smile
markdenver View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15.Dec.2020 at 07:13
Hello Hlander,

I have interested about situation of yours i will try to handle the situation just give me some time about it. 

An Architect From Turkey Welcomes You!!!! :)
markdenver View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15.Dec.2020 at 09:30
Hello Hlander,

i have created a dynamic block with geometric constraints so i hope that it will be helpfull for you for a while.

i will try to upgrade this block with angular version too...

u can manage thickness of wall from 100 mm to 500 mm and you can adjust corner length of wall from 500 mm to 1250 mm 

i hope that you will like. 

Edited by markdenver - 15.Dec.2020 at 09:41

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic