CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 8925
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closeddividing arc into multiple segments

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
rabea_111 View Drop Down

Using: autocad 2009
Direct Link To This Post Topic: dividing arc into multiple segments
    Posted: 17.Mar.2011 at 21:02
hi , i just need help , is there any way to divide arc in auto-cad into a multiple segments , usually i do (divide) then i draw a polyline above the divided arc , is there any other way to divide the arc into multiple segments directly ...

i want to do this because when importing the extruded arc into a 3dmax the arc will show broken edges because it is only has a 3point ..

thanks you in advance...
PepaR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17.Mar.2011 at 21:56
Try DivBreak, please.
PepaR
rabea_111 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18.Mar.2011 at 05:27
hi , and thank you for helping me , i will try it today and get back to you...

thank you again  Smile
Cad64 View Drop Down

Using: Autocad 2011, 3DS Max 2011, Photoshop CS5
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18.Mar.2011 at 07:19
DivBreak? What's that?

If I understand your question correctly, you don't need to divide your arc into multiple segments in order to import it to 3DS Max. You just need to adjust your import settings.
Online Portfolio: http://www.rdeweese.com/
John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18.Mar.2011 at 10:58
Cad64:

DivBreak is a download from CADforum and is described this way:

"DivBreak - breaks polylines to a defined segment number/length - combines the BREAK and DIVIDE/MEASURE commands."

I would recommend that if a person suggests a routine that is not standard to an AutoDesk product they describe what it does and where it might be found.  Personally I, for one, would find that information to be very helpful.

It's just a suggestion and no offense is meant or implied.

Edited by John Connor - 18.Mar.2011 at 10:59
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

Cad64 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18.Mar.2011 at 15:28
Originally posted by John Connor John Connor wrote:

I would recommend that if a person suggests a routine that is not standard to an AutoDesk product they describe what it does and where it might be found.  Personally I, for one, would find that information to be very helpful.

I agree. As you can see from my previous post, I had no idea what was being suggested. I knew it wasn't a standard Autocad command, but I didn't know if maybe it was a command that's available in Architecture or Civil or some other program? My other thought was maybe it's a lisp routine, but there was no mention of where to download it or what it does. A little more information would be very helpful in situations like this.

But as I said, there's no reason to break the arc into multiple segments. You just have to adjust your settings in the Import dialog when you bring your CAD file into Max.

Try setting "Curve Steps" to 20 and "Maximum Surface Deviation" to .01 and see if you get better results.

Edit: I just noticed that the word DivBreak in PepaR's post is a link. It's very difficult to distinguish links from plain text. It would be nice if links were a different color and more bold so you can tell at a glance that it's a link.

Edited by Cad64 - 18.Mar.2011 at 15:36
John Connor View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD 2018
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18.Mar.2011 at 15:51
And so it is.  I did not notice that DivBreak was a link either.  Thanks for pointing that out.  I'll have to either look more closely from now on or run my mouse pointer over all the text to discover any hidden gems.  Sharp eyes there Cad64.
"Humans have a strength that cannot be measured. This is John Connor. If you are reading this, you are the resistance."

<<AutoCAD 2015>>

PepaR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18.Mar.2011 at 20:12
Congratulations guys, I waited for discoverer of a link ;).
PepaR
rabea_111 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26.Mar.2011 at 19:47
hi and thank you for help , i tried increasing (smooth-angle) when importing the cad file into 3ds max and it works , the faces became smooth but the top face of the object still having jagged edges or broken edge ...
i am working on a big projects containing a lot of arcs and circles , and i cannot divide every arc into segments because it will waste a lot of time..
so do you know if any other auto-cad software doesn't have this problem like maybe auto-cad architectural .....

thanks 
Cad64 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26.Mar.2011 at 20:53
You will never get an absolute perfectly smooth curved surface from your imported CAD file. The import settings I mentioned will only get you just so far. Once imported, you will need to apply a Smooth modifier, or possibly a TurboSmooth modifier in order to completely smooth out the curved surfaces.

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic