CAD Forum - Database of tips, tricks and utilities for AutoCAD, Inventor and other Autodesk products [www.cadforum.cz]
CZ | EN | DE
Login or
registration
  Visitors: 10191
RSS channel - CAD tips RSS tips
RSS discussions

Discussion Discussion forum

HelpCAD discussion

CAD Forum - Homepage CAD discussion forum - ask any CAD-related questions here, share your CAD knowledge on AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit and other Autodesk software with your peers from all over the world. To start a new topic, choose an appropriate forum.

Please abide by the rules of this forum.

How to post questions: register or login, go to the specific forum and click the NEW TOPIC button.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTransforming coordinates into 2D profile

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mezooo View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD2020
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transforming coordinates into 2D profile
    Posted: 13.May.2020 at 15:43
Hello,

I've got a problem regarding getting points (to which I have the x,y,z coordinates) into a 2D profile drawing.

I am aware of the ViewCube option, however I already have a drawing of the profile with the correct proportions, I just need to insert the points (with the x,y,z coordinates) into the drawing.

So basically my question is whether is there some way to convert my inserted ponts from a 3D model (x,y,z) into a 2D model / profile (x,y) along a line (the points are situated in a straight line), for example the the line would be on axis x and the z would ber on axis y.

The specific coordinates of the points aren't important, just their relative distances from each other.

Thanks in advance 
philippe JOSEPH View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD Mechanical 2017
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13.May.2020 at 18:55
Hello Mezooo, you can set in a 3D model an UCS conformably to your 3D profile to be like in 2D, copy ( Ctrl + C ) the points + the "2D like" UCS to have a reference and then set back the general UCS to paste the points + the "2D like" UCS to place then on a 2D view and the work only in 2D.
I suppose that the problem is working in 3D only for you or for your coleagues.
Hope this makes sence, I will do a manual sheme to explain this.
In any case 1 : If you work in 3D, always take a 3D point of view to work or use the OSNAPZ setting to the correct value to avoid any risk ( I will have to verify if it's (0) or (1) ).
In any case 2 : Beware of the points that you think being with Z=0 in your strictly aligned direction, this could lead to some problems when replaced in 2D ( items could not be with Z=0 exactly ).

Edited by philippe JOSEPH - 13.May.2020 at 19:00

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14.May.2020 at 10:11
Mezooo View Drop Down

Using: AutoCAD2020
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14.May.2020 at 13:33
Hello Philippe,
thank you for your help, I've managed to solve the problem.
Turns out my problem wasn't that complicated, I just changed the UCS of the points in front view, copied and pasted them in the original 2D drawing, and they are distributed correctly.
Thanks again.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14.May.2020 at 17:51
Yes Mezooo, if you can set an UCS to copy correctly your points that means that you have one horizontal line + one vertical line or 3 points to set it.
Then you can paste the points in a 2D drawing, or in the same 3D file.
Beware of the points that all look to be in the same UCS with Z=0 and are with a little Z different to zero, that could lead to some problem in 2D. 
From your first post : (the points are situated in a straight line)

Related CAD tips:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic